SYMPOSIUM 365 SPEAKERS
Dr. Tidiane Ouattara
Space Science Expert and GMES & Africa Program Coordinator
African Union Commission
Dr. Tidiane Ouattara received a PhD and a master’s degree, both in Remote Sensing and Geographical Information System (GIS) from Sherbrooke University (Canada) respectively in 2001 and 1996. He also holds a master’s degree in physical geography from Université de Cocody-Abidjan (Côte-d’Ivoire). Dr. Ouattara is currently Space Science Expert and Coordinator for GMES & Africa Programme. Fluently speaking English, French and Spanish, he has gained tremendous experience in international relations and business development, research and development (R&D), strategic policy development and program management issues related to environment, natural resources, and sciences and technology. Indeed Dr. Ouattara began his career in Canada as lecturer at Sherbrooke University from 1996 to 2001. He taught not only scientific courses, but also African geopolitics and sociocultural issues. After a brief stay with the private sector in Montreal, in 2002 Dr. Ouattara started working with the federal government of Canada. He successively occupied various positions:
At the Canadian Space Agency (2004-2006):
- International Relations Manager in charge of Africa, Central and South America and United Nations. He was also covering Earth Observation, Navigation and Positioning, Robotics and Space Sciences portfolios.
At the Department of Natural Resources Canada (2002-2004 and 2006-2010):
- Senior Science and Policy Advisor for the Assistant Deputy Minister, the Chief Scientist
- Head of knowledge management, bilateral and multilateral strategies Unit
- Manager of Canadian Digital Elevation Model Programme
- Researcher and International Relations officer in geomatics (earth observation, mapping, GPS and Geographical Information System).
At the Department of Environment and Climate Change Canada (2010-2016):
- Manager, Geospatial Data Management Section, Canadian Wildlife Service.
- Head Manager, Landscape and Ecosystem Assessment Planning and Coordination Section, Canadian Wildlife Service
At the African Union Commission (2016-Present):
- Space Science Expert leading the development and implementation of African Space Policy and Strategy as well as the African Outer Space Programme.
- Manager and Coordinator of the Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES & Africa) Programme.
State of Space 2021
Tuesday, February 9, 2021
10:00 am - 11:30 am